Perfect for beginners
Includes the world's favourite and most powerful music production software Ableton Live 11 Suite (rrp: £539)
6 month duration
2 x 2.5hrs of live-stream lessons per week (48 lessons in total - 120hrs)
1 x 30-minute 121 with a tutor per week (24 x 121s in total)
Lessons recorded for you to watch back in your own time
World class, industry-active tutors
Each lesson includes extra resources and quizzes to check your learning
Cover 6 modules: Basics of Music Production, Advanced Music Production, Creative Music Production, Sound Design & Synthesis, Mixdown Fundamentals and Advanced Mixdown
Please remember, you don’t have to attend all lesson live-streams, as they are recorded back for you to watch in your own time. You will have full access to all the online content for 3 months after your last lesson.
We can also discuss alternative timetabling options if the lesson times do not suit you, please contact us.
It lets you easily create, produce and perform music within one intuitive interface. It also keeps everything in time so you can play with your musical ideas without interrupting the creative flow.
Ableton Live runs on both PC and Mac. For your Ultimate Course you'll receive this software. Grab a pair of headphones, and you’re ready to roll. See FAQ below for more info.
Is this the right course for me?
You really need know what level of music production you would like to get to - are you curious, a hobbyist, or taking it seriously and wanting to get to a professional level?
We have 3 music production courses that are all totally suitable for beginners, but that will get you to 3 different levels by the end. If you are unsure what is right for you, book a call with a course advisor or send us an email.
- Music Production Basics Course (1 module)
- Music Production Fundamentals Course (2 modules)
- Music Production Ultimate Course (6 modules)*
*Ableton Live 11 Suite (rrp: £539) music production software included with the training.
If you are a beginner then this course is at the right starting level. This is our Music Production Ultimate Course, so is our most comprehensive training programme that will get you to the highest level of music production that our online training can offer, as well as being the best value for money. For this reason, this is the course we’d recommend if you are a beginner looking to get the most from the training!
If you are already making music and want to specialise further, check out our Producer's Bundle which includes 4 of the 6 modules taught on our Ultimate Course.
Are there entry requirements for this course?
No. This course is hands-on, and aimed at improving your skill-set as a music producer, from a beginner’s starting point. There are no formal academic requirements for this course.
At the end of your training, once you have completed all the course quizzes you will receive a certificate of completion.
Will I learn specific genres on this course?
Lessons will generally focus around the more “popular” electronic genres such as techno, house, drum and bass, and the majority of sub-genres within these areas.
More in-depth questions about genres outside of this can be brought up during your weekly 1-2-1 sessions with your tutor. Feel free to ask away!
What are the lessons like?
Lessons are where the main content of your training is delivered to your class. Lessons are:
- Taught live by your course tutor, twice a week. Each lesson is 2.5hrs long - you will receive 20hrs of lessons per module (so 120 hours in total for this course).
- Delivered to your class online as a closed group.
- Taught at fixed times each week. Lesson times will differ depending on the start date of the course, and may also differ between modules.
- Lessons are recorded and uploaded to your learning portal for you to re-watch as much as you need, so you do not need to worry if you cannot watch the lessons live.
- You will not need a webcam for your lessons. You can however type questions in a chat forum during your lesson. For a short period at the end of each lesson, your tutor will review these questions and aim to answer the most relevant questions relating to the lesson topics.
What are the 1-2-1s like?
1-2-1s are quality time to cover anything you need answers for, in order to help you progress. 1-2-1s are:
- Taught live by a tutor (not necessarily your lesson tutor).
- Taught as 4 x 30 minute slots per module (24 x 30 minute slots in total for this course - 1 weekly). When you enrol an administrator will be in touch to arrange what weekly timeslot will suit you and the tutor.
- You will need to use a mic or your computer's in-built mic for your 1-2-1s. You will not need a webcam for your 1-2-1s, although it is recommended so that you can interact better with the tutor. 1-2-1s are taught using Zoom, which allows you to record the 1-2-1s directly to your computer, should you wish to watch these back in your own time.
How do the payments work with getting an Ableton licence?
If you are studying our Music Production Ultimate Course you will receive Ableton Live 11 Suite (rrp: £539) as part of your training.
If you have paid in advance for this course, the Ableton licence will be issued to you 14-days after your enrolment once the cooling-off period has ended, or on your first module lesson, whichever comes first.
If you are on a monthly instalment plan, you will receive your Ableton licence after all your course fees have been paid. Alternatively if you wish to receive the Ableton licence earlier, we offer a £250 deposit scheme. Once you have paid the £250 deposit, we can issue the licence to you. Then once your final course payment has been received, we will then refund the £250 deposit back to you. An administrator will be in touch to organise this with you. Please note that once entered onto a monthly payment plan, you have entered into a legally binding and all course fees will be due. Any unpaid course fees will be recouped, along with the cost of the Ableton licence (valued at £539).
What happens when I enrol?
We look forward to welcoming you as a SEM student! Once you enrol, join the community online and give us a shout on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, by tagging us and using the hashtag #SEMONLINE to tell us what course you’ve enrolled for. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book so that you receive the admin emails for getting you setup, and keep an eye on your inbox as this is the main way we will liaise with you throughout your training.
Once enrolled, you will be taken to your course player, which contains all the getting started information to ensure you’re all ready for online training. Your course content will unlock as your course progresses.
If you have any questions about enrolling, please book a call or email us.
What do I need to study this course?
You will need:
- A computer capable of running Ableton Live* (see system requirements here).
- A pair of ideally flat-response headphones, or speakers.
- An internet connection to allow you to follow the lessons online.
- Music production software*
- 3rd party plugins (see ‘What plugins do I need to study this course?’)
*Ableton Live 11 Suite is included free with this course. We will utilise all the sounds, effects and tools that come within this.
Please note that if you have paid in advance for your course, the Ableton licence will be issued to you 14-days after your enrolment once the cooling-off period has ended, or on your first module lesson, whichever comes first.
If you are on a monthly instalment plan, you will receive your Ableton licence after all your course fees have been paid. Alternatively if you wish to receive the Ableton licence earlier, we offer a £200 deposit scheme. Once you have paid the £200 deposit, we can issue the licence to you. Then once your final course payment has been received, we will then refund the £200 deposit back to you. An administrator will be in touch to organise this with you.
Please note that once entered onto a monthly payment plan, you have entered into a legally binding and all course fees will be due. Any unpaid course fees will be recouped, along with the cost of the Ableton licence (valued at £539).
Recommended but not essential
- A MIDI keyboard
- A second computer screen would be ideal so you can follow along on Ableton Live whilst watching your lesson.
- We always advise backing your music up on a second source other as well as the computer hard-drive, for example, a good sized USB (256gB+), external hard-drive, or cloud based system.
Email us if you need any advice on getting setup for training.
What plugins do I need to study this course?
The below plugins are recommended to get the most from your training, but are not needed until the modules they are taught on.
The Sound Design and Synthesis module (taught in month 4) uses 3rd party plugins such as Serum, Massive X, Diva and FM8 to practice with. Out of this plugin list, the only plugin for this course that we would strongly advise purchasing is Serum by Xfer Records, as it is one of the most versatile synthesisers in the industry and has a lot of features to make learning synthesis easy. Serum can be purchased for $189 outright or via rent-to-own for $9.99 a month on Splice.
The Mixdown Fundamentals module (taught in month 5) heavily uses the 3rd party plugins included in the FabFilter Mastering Bundle which is £379, or with a 50% student discount, £189.50. You can provide your course confirmation to Fabfilter to claim the student discount. Before you buy - you can download a free evaluation copy of the FabFilter Total Bundle, which includes all FabFilter plugins. This lasts 30 days; when the 30 days are over you can extend it here. Please note the extension is most likely a limited feature due to COVID-19 so this link may be deactivated.
The other plugin that will be used on this module is Valhalla Room. This is $50 for a one-off purchase.
The Advanced Mixdown module (taught in month 6) also extensively uses 3rd party plugins included in the Slate Digital Everything Bundle. The Slate Digital Everything bundle can be rented for $24.99/month with no ongoing monthly commitment, or can be purchased through SEM for under £100 for the year - speak with us about this.